Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Great Loss

I woke up Monday morning to the horrible news that Steve Irwin the "Crocodile Hunter" was dead. I was and still am in shock. How is it a celebrity whom I've never met but watched only on TV, movies and various guest appearances can touch me so much? He seemed like such a vibrant, passionate, loving man who cared deeply for both wildlife and his family. While he died doing something he loved, I am so sad for his wife and their two young children. I wonder "what if". What if he had left that barb in his chest? Would he have survived to make it to a hospital? Supposedly the weather had been bad enough to call off the shoot for the "Ocean's Deadliest" documentary they were shooting so he decided to get some shots for another show he was doing with Bindi (his dd). What if he had just said let's try again tomorrow? I guess we'll never know.

No comments: