Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Baby shower planning

I'm planning a baby shower to be held this weekend for my sister. There are only 7 of us so it's going to be very small. No games, just some finger foods. I'm just not sure what to prepare! So far my menu consists of a small veggie tray and dip like tzatziki sauce, baby rattle cupcakes and chocolate covered strawberries. What else should I make? A bread bowl with dip? Buffalo chicken dip? I have no ideas at the moment so suggestions are welcome! It's a mid-afternoon shower if that helps.

I'm hoping she gets a lot of stuff she needs. She has no extra income except to buy cigarettes it appears (ahem) and I want my niece to have what she needs. I bought her a stroller/carseat combo on clearance at Target and a good friend from our playgroup gave me a crib and changing table to give her (Thanks again Melodie!) so baby will have somewhere to sleep. We can't have her sleeping in a dresser drawer now! Relatives have asked me what to buy her and I honestly can't say. I may give her some crib sheets if she wants them but after 5 years, they are no longer in pristine condition. They just look dingy although they are in good shape. I know she plans on formula feeding and I know nothing about bottles. I've just been telling people wipes and diapers or gift cards for those things.

So now I need to get my house in order for Sunday. I plan on closing all doors to my house while company is here! LOL We still have so much to do and it's all so much a mess right now. I'm not even sure where to start. I did have an idea though. I need to run it by everyone involved first though. I was thinking, we need to purge some toys, so what if I buy some Rubbermaid containers and give one to my younger BIL, my mom and my MIL to keep at their house so when the boys are there, they'll have plenty to do. I thought it was a good idea. It gets them out of my house, but I don't feel like I'm just throwing them out or losing money on them. Tell me what you think.

3 comments:

jennifer said...

UH....my swap party!

Lindsey said...

I think that's a great idea for the unwanted toys!

Hey, my girlfriend is throwing a shower for a friend of hers that doesn't like games. So, she's bought wood letters to spell the baby's name and found out the nursery colors. She'll have them set out at the shower for the guests to paint while they're there! Isn't that a fun idea? That way there is an activity and the mom-to-be will have a handmade gift from all the attendees to hang in the nursery! I love it!!

Anyway, what about Sausage balls? Bisquick has a yummy recipe on their site.

Scarlett said...

great idea for the toys! My MIL did that, except she grabbed the big bag of old, broken, and stuff my kids don't play with anymore toys. So that's what she has at her house... I wish she would have told me what she was doing with them. I would have sent some stuff they actually like.