Thursday, August 07, 2008

Kindergarten Countdown is On

And I'm. Not. Ready.

Supplies- check
Uniforms- check
Anxiety- check

I haven't received anything in the mail yet about school although I did receive a recorded call this morning stating I should give the post office until Tuesday. There is no orientation set up to meet his teacher or see the school BEFORE school actually starts. I think we'll go up there someday next week to look around and find his classroom. I have so many questions. Thank goodness for my friend Debbie who has helped me with so many of my questions already. Her dd went to this school for K last year (and she also knows our pre-K school) so I've been bombarding her with emails asking question after question. I hopefully have a better idea with her help than someone who doesn't have that mentor already in the school.

I'm excited for Logan to go to school but I'm also anxious. He's a sensitive kid. He cries easily. It's just who he is. He likes to have friends and gets his feeling hurt easily so I forsee many tears in the coming year. Thankfully he also makes friends easily. He'll be in school all day long which will be so different for me. In reality, it's only a little over 2 hours longer than Pre-K but it's a lot! Plus we'll have homework for the first time. Life is about to get more interesting....

4 comments:

Heather said...

Awww, how bittersweet. I'm not ready either, and it's just pre-K for us. I'll be a mess next year!

Melodie said...

I remember when Sarah started kindergarten, and Emily started preschool the same day, I just sat in my little apartment staring at the clock, counting down the time I had left before Sarah would come home from school. I didn't know what to do with myself.

Alison said...

Hey Karlise~ Last year Catherine's K teacher called us about about a month before school started. She then sent us a detailed letter welcoming her to Kindergarten and sent her a detailed supply list along with when they would get to meet each other before school started! It was great. She did great and adjusted really well. I bet Logan will do awesome. Since Chad was deployed during this time she was very sensitive to that as well with Catherine. When does he start school? We start Monday the 11th here so today we go to meet her first grade teacher and see her classroom.

Debbie said...

Karlise, Elizabeth is very sensitive too...But she holds it to herself. Her teacher and I'm sure all teacher's, especially Kindergarten, they know that not only the child, the parent feels the angst...I do not think that feeling goes away. Next year as E goes into 1st grade, I wonder about the teacher, who she might know in her class, are the kids going to all get along like they did last year, all that...It just lessens a bit..

Logan will do ok and whatever you are feeling, might subside once you see him again on the first day...I'll never ever forget that morning, I tried to hold it together and broke down. I didn't want Elizabeth to see it and then got in the car and broke down again. I was not happy or at ease until I picked her up at 2:15...

Remember what I emailed you, all that nervousness turned into a "healthy" jealousy for the teacher....The first 9 weeks is really the bit adjustment period, so they told me....But he did so well in PreK also, so keep that in your mind!!! Maybe you should come to our BooHoo breakfast we are doing at LVC this year...Just for the parents that are having a hard time...LOL!