Saturday, February 28, 2009

Temporary Insanity

I don't know what got into me this morning. Dh went to work today and was gone all day. I thought about going to the zoo and decided against it for monetary reasons. I thought about the park but didn't get moving fast enough so I just decided out of the blue to let the kids play out back while I RAKED. Yes. I raked the backyard. Noone can be as shocked as I am. I loathe raking. I was made to rake the yard when I was a teen and I told dh I never wanted to do it again. Same goes for mowing the yard- hence the reason we pay someone else to do it!

Now we have a pretty good size backyard and there are 3 oak trees back there so there were quite a few leaves. At first I thought I'd do half and let him do half. Then I got 2/3 done and I said I can keep going. Then my blister broke (even though I was wearing gloves) and I suffered thru it with a bandaid. And I finished the whole damn thing. Phew. I even wore Bella on my back for a good hour to hour and a half of it and she slept back there. It was a beautiful day with a light breeze so even though it was warm and I was sweating a bit it didn't feel so bad. The last hour or so she spent in her exersaucer in the shade though. It felt nice to get her off my back and cool off a bit.

I don't think our yard has ever been raked. The leaves towards the neighbor's house (and their tree!) were the thickest. We're also on a downslope from them so everytime I'd rake near the fence more leaves from their side would fall thru. I'm just hoping we can get some grass to grow back there now or something! I did leave dh some work though. He gets the fun job of bagging all the piles and there's about 30 of them. I think his lil' bro may come help out tomorrow morning. We'll see! I'm just proud of myself that I did it. I was ready to give up a few times. It seemed so daunting at the time. Just don't ask or expect me to do often in the future!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

GO YOU! That's awesome you did that...you have to feel totally accomplished!!! Raking is so much flippin' work.

About a month ago my brother had 6 men from his church come rake our horrible backyard. It hadn't been raked in about 10 years our neighbor told us. It took 7.5 hours, 6 men and 175 bags. I cannot even imagine how long that would have taken Jason and I and I'm SOO thankful we don't have to worry about it now. We'll be able to try and plant some grass...it's all dirt now.