Saturday, April 11, 2009

XBox 360 cake

I don't think I did a great job. It looked differently in my head than how it came out and I definately will do things differently next time BUT the birthday guy loved it and so did all his friends and family. I got a lot of compliments on it and was told how much it really looked like an xbox plus everyone loved the taste so that's what counts, right?

The controller is made from rice krispie treats (see the pan in the back?). It's covered in buttercream (real) and fondant (which tasted pretty good btw). The knobs are rolos I cut in half and covered. The A, B, Y, X buttons are M&Ms upside down. I wrote the letters on them with edible food markers. The cake was yellow boxed cake (x 2), a box of pound cake and 1 package instant pudding powder (pound cake and pudding help make it more dense for carving) with buttercream frosting, pineapple preserves and fondant. I used silver luster dust to make the silver metallic details and edible markers for the writing. All the air holes were made from poking a food thermometer into the fondant. I won't go into my mistakes but I'm sure you can see them. LOL This is only my 2nd time working with fondant though so I won't beat myself up too much.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

Holly said...

Looks pretty good! I showed Bruce, and he said "cool"!

Karen said...

That's awesome! I could never make a cake like that so give yourself some credit. Great job!

Debbie said...

I am totally into cake decorating, etc...made some awesome cakes myself...But this came out AMAZING!!! The patience with fondant alone has to be commended....I love, absolutely love it....